Summer is in full effect in my corner of the globe which means the whir of lawnmowers and cicadas are a constant soundtrack in the background of summer get togethers around the grill. Even though the weather has warmed up significantly, I still haven’t gotten many fresh veggies out of the garden…yet. I carefully examine all the plants in my garden every morning but still only have skinny zucchinis and green tomatoes. It’s become quite the obsession and will, sooner or later, pay off.
Luckily, the local grocery store has lots of fresh vegetables on sale right now including broccoli for $0.99/lb! I couldn’t pass that up so I bought a few pounds of broccoli, a container of feta cheese, and some lovely little grape tomatoes for one of my favorite summer salads!
This delicious salad is perfect for work week lunches or a side salad to bring to a pot luck. It’s super easy to put together and can make a pretty large amount so I like to prep it at the start of the week and then add things to it depending on what sounds good that day.
Don’t like feta? Try blue cheese! Can’t stand tomatoes? Steam some carrots! Want more protein? Add black beans and Bragg’s Liquid! It’s so easy to make this salad your own so give it a try!
- 1 pound or three heads broccoli
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- A few shakes garlic salt
- A few shakes pepper
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Chop broccoli florets into small, bite-size pieces. Bring a pot of water to rolling boil and toss broccoli florets in for about 90 seconds. Remove from heat and strain.
- After broccoli has cooled, toss broccoli, tomatoes, feta, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Serve immediately or chill and eat later.
- Optional add-ons: avocado, sugar snap peas, blanched cauliflower, steamed carrots.