Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the best.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a cooking challenge. But everyone has those reliable recipes to consistently fall back on when there isn’t time or energy to cook. These recipes tend to be easy and have limited ingredients so a large shopping list isn’t required.
We’ve made these dishes so many times we could make make them blindfolded with a screaming child clinging to our leg during a blizzard. Hopefully, you aren’t making this recipe under those circumstances but you get my point!
My Chicken and Rice Soup is somewhat similar to chicken noodle soup but I think it’s even easier and has a different taste. Almost all of the ingredients are staples in The Teensy Kitchen so I can usually whip it together even if I didn’t plan on making it.
This soup can be made in the crock pot or on the stove and only requires 10 ingredients (half of which are spices). Freezing it is easy as well although I suggest leaving the rice out until you actually plan on eating it so it doesn’t get too mushy.
As always, I recommend making this recipe your own. There are so many variations that can be added or removed but try it once just as it is. Preferably when the weather permits a cozy soup night by the fire.
- 1 chicken breast
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 cup rice
- 45 oz. chicken broth or water
- A few shakes of dried thyme
- A few shakes of dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil chicken breast in hot water with a pinch of salt to keep water from boiling over.
- Slice celery and carrots and place in pot with chicken broth. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and thyme.
- When chicken is completely cooked, remove from water and shred with a fork and knife. Add to pot. Simmer mixture on low-medium heat until carrots are soft.
- When carrots are soft, add rice, 1 cup of water, and crushed garlic. Simmer until rice is cooked.
- Optional: Add onion for a little extra flavor punch. We don't really like cooked onion in my household so we leave it out.
- To cook in crock pot, put all ingredients except rice together in crock pot and turn on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Add rice and simmer another 30 - 40 minutes.